Friday, March 12, 2010

Letting go of Stuff

We trial packed the other night. Oh boy… what an eye opener that was. How do I pare down what I already thought was the bare minimum? I haven’t left the comfort of my home yet and I’m out of my comfort zone already. Leaving my closet behind is far from comforting, a bit troubling actually. What a reality check - I’m tied to my things more than I thought. I know, I know - It’s not the things in life that truly matter.  This journey is testing me on not just paying that truth lipservice and I haven't stepped on the plane yet.  It’s simple to say that it’s not about the things in life; really hard to live it. At least for me. I admit it; I like choices. Maybe I need a 12 step program for an addiction to choice. But I have to ask myself - do I like choice in wardrobe more than not carrying lots of stuff; for a year? The choice is made and the test has begun.  My bags are full. Fortunately my heart and mind have limitless capacity for all the stuff in life that aren't things and I don't even need to trial pack to know that.

7 comments:

  1. We are testing this for dad to see if a comment shows up.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while to figure out what I really needed. My first flight to NZ I was completely overpacked. After a couple weeks on the road, I sent a big box home of stuff I didn't really need (raincoat, sweater, extra pair of shoes, many things from my first aid kit, etc).

    Plan on shipping a box of stuff home after a few weeks. Your list of necessities will be different from everyone else's, so there's no master list somewhere you can just copy and have it be right for you.

    You'll figure out how often you'll want to do laundry vs. carry clothes, which amenities you'll want (I carried a tiny short-wave radio back before there were internet cafes so slake our thirst for outside news, etc). It's part of the fun! Plus, you'll be accumulating stuff, so you'll have to send boxes home, anyway.

    Enjoy your planning. Letting go is hard. Having let go is wonderful.

    Chris Langford

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys
    What a fantastic trip you have ahead of you! I'm so Jealous
    Don't forget to look up my brother and sister in Lima!
    Best of Luck
    Donal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys,

    I am soo jealous. You are about to realise a dream in your life. Don't worry about a spare pair of shoes, Stevo :-) Be happy, look forward to a great experience. Great idea, also, to do some blogging and staying in touch with the rest of us who stay in our regulated lifes...have fun and enjoy.

    cheers

    Torsten

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fantastic trip.You will relive this adventure the rest of your life. I look forward to following your progress.

    Love DAD

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like something I would want to do, You lucky dogs. I think from the look of the trial pack that you might have 3 more bags than needed. Just take an empty bag and fill it with cool souvenirs and clothing. Fed X the rest to where you are going. And eventually you will look like Tom Hanks on a marooned island with a troll doll and each other. Have a great trip. Ron & Vivian Bend, Or

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Couldn't have said it better than your friend Chris. Except for have toothbrush & paste? Check. 1 change of undies, check. An extra shirt, check. Deo, check. journal, check. oops, computer, phone, camemra, check? You're good to go. Get what you need en route, ditch everything else. oh, except for your passport and credit card of course! Living vicariously thru you! xo Paige

    ReplyDelete